Ablaze is running another exciting poetry competition, giving Primary School pupils in Bristol, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset the chance to write a poem about ‘My Future’. Winning entries will be published in a special Ablaze book. We are also looking for pictures for the book cover.
Children are encouraged to be imaginative in their interpretation of the topic – they may wish to write about how they imagine a future world or their personal future. This competition is a wonderful opportunity for local children to showcase their writing skills and for the winners to see their poems in published form.
We are very excited to be running this competition for the seventh year. Each year we select around 80 poems for the book and a panel of judges choose Winners and Runners-Up in the following age categories: Under 7 (Reception, Y1 & Y2), 7-9 (Y3 & Y4) and 9-11 (Y5 & Y6), as well as an Overall Winner. Winners and runners-up are invited to a prize-giving event where they get the chance to read their poems aloud and be presented with a certificate and prize.
We are also looking for a colourful picture for the front cover of the book with the theme of ‘My Future’. Pupils can let their imaginations and creativity run wild to create an eye-catching cover picture. Pictures must be drawn on a piece of A4 white paper, keep it bold and colourful with no writing please.
Please send your entries to Poetry.Competition@AblazeBristol.org by Friday 24 February 2023
Competition rules and guidelines
- This competition is open to all pupils attending a Primary School in Bristol, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset in the 2022-23 academic year.
- All entries must be typed, with the name of the pupil, their year group and school clearly stated- we cannot accept entries without this information.
- Poems should be saved in one of the following file formats: .doc, .docx, .odt or .txt.
- Picture entries should be saved in one of the following file formats: .pdf, .png or .jpg or sent to us by post.
- Only one entry per pupil.
- Poems and artwork must be the pupil’s own work
- Please give your poem or picture to your class teacher or school office for them to send to Ablaze if your school have asked for you to do this; alternatively you can EMAIL US your poem or picture by clicking on the button below or sending them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that due to the volume of entries, unfortunately we cannot accept handwritten entries.
- Poems chosen for the book will be published with the pupil’s name, school and year group, by entering the competition you consent to this use of data. Names can be changed if necessary for safeguarding purposes- please let us know if this is the case.
- Poems must be submitted by an adult on behalf of the child- either a member of school staff or a parent/guardian.
- We will collect the following data- child’s name, child’s school, child’s year group, email address of the adult submitting the poem. We will keep this information for the purposes of judging the poems, and for contacting the winners and everyone whose poem or picture is featured in the book. Contact information will not be sent to third parties without further consent.
- All schools with children featured in the book will receive one complimentary copy of the poetry book for their school library. Additional books will be available to purchase from Ablaze.
- The cost of the book covers printing costs, postage and some of the costs of running the competition. Ablaze is a registered charity (Registration No 1110956) and relies on donations and modest charges for running our programmes. To find more about Ablaze please visit https://ablazebristol.org/
- Whilst every effort is taken to ensure the poems are reproduced correctly, Ablaze accepts no responsibility for errors in the finished book.
- By entering the competition you confirm you agree with the Competition Rules and Guidelines.